Sunday, November 20, 2011

Great weekend and things to look forward to

I often don’t have the best of luck.  It makes life quite amusing and, I must admit, I love it. I am sweaty and out of breath!!  But, let me tell you why.  Regent has two dorm buildings.  Each one has only 4 washers,  so let me just tell you, it is a rare occasion to get more than one washer at a time and it turns laundry day into a huge event after lugging laundry up and down the stairs several times.  After getting back to school from a weekend at home I had a bunch of laundry to do and went downstairs to check if there were any washers free and ALL 4 WERE EMPTY!!! So you know what I did? I ran as fast as I could up to my room, sorted my laundry and ran back downstairs with a basket so full of laundry I could hardly carry it just to find that all the washers were full except for one.  So I had to carry most of the laundry back up to my room again, but I consider myself lucky compared to the guy using the washer next to me who forgot to get the gum out of his pockets before doing his laundry.  It was a huge mess that I am so thankful I did not have to deal with.  Trust me; there is always a bright side to everything! 

It was a really fun weekend at home.  It’s always nice to go home to my Mom’s smiling face and home cooked meals and to have all of us siblings together.  Saturday we spent the day with friends from our college Bible study back home (Newport News).  It was such a beautiful day that we spent all of it outside playing croquette, corn hole, Frisbee and lots of other fun stuff.  We got so into Frisbee at one point that we had 6 going at one time.  It was a major challenge for me considering I can’t throw a Frisbee straight to save my life.  It was a very fun day.  I always miss my friends back home when I am at school.  They are so fun! 

The only thing that could have made this weekend better was if Dad were home.  We had a great Skype date with him today after church, but it is not the same as having him here.  The deployment is almost over though and we couldn’t be happier.  I am so excited to have my Dad back home.

Over the last couple of years I have made up a bucket list of my own.  Just things that I really want to do at some point in my life.  I have marked two off of my list. 

1)      Be a counselor at a summer camp

I have always wanted to be a counselor at a summer camp.  I have had the opportunity for the last two summers to be a camp counselor at Camp Open Arms.  It is one of my absolute favorite things.  I love working with the kids to help them not only have a great time but to learn about God.  We help them not only build a relationship with God but we teach them how to have a quiet time every day and help them have a better understanding of who He is and what He has done for us. 


2)      Lead someone to Christ

This is also something that I have accomplished through Camp Open Arms.  I love having the privilege to share my love for God with these kids and it’s something I will never get tired of doing. 


I am currently working on checking off another two items on my list.

1)      Read the entire Bible

This is something I am ashamed to say I have never done before, but I am thoroughly enjoying it.  I am learning so much through reading God’s word and I have no doubt that as soon as I finish I will start over and read it through again. The second thing I am working on is:

2)      Read all of the Sherlock Holmes books by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

I love reading The Mysteries of Sherlock Holmes! The insane brilliancy of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is something I will never understand.  He is an amazing writer and I love reading all of these books. 

I am so excited about checking more things off my list.  But keep in mind these are small things off my list, and there are much bigger things I want to accomplish in life and I cannot wait to see where God leads me.          

No comments:

Post a Comment